[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] OFED Jan 28 meeting summary on RC3readiness

Shirley Ma mashirle at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 30 08:00:15 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 17:10 -0800, Woodruff, Robert J wrote:
> Tziporet wrote,
> >    * Delay 1.3 release in a week
> >    * Do RC4 next week - Feb 6
> >    * Add RC5 on Feb 18 - this will be the GOLD version
> >    * GA release on Feb 25
>

> >All - please reply if this is acceptable
>
> I hate to keep slipping this, but I think it is important to get
> what RedHat needs into OFED 1.3, so I am not apposed to this.
>
> I think however that perhaps after 1.3, we should discuss our process
> a bit to try to get a little better at making our original
> release dates. I think we are getting hit with feature creep, allowing
> some pretty major changes after the feature freeze date, late in the
> release cycle.
>
> I also think that we do need to be a little more careful
> and selective about what features go into OFED, as it is suppose to be
> an enterprise release rather than an experimental code release.
>
> For the kernel code, I think that this means keeping things a little
> closer to the kernel.org kernel features and if something is not
> upstream, then
> press for getting it upstream (or at least queued for upsteam)
> rather than allowing big patches into OFED that have not had a good
> review.
> The way we are working now, if it is getting into OFED, people are less
> aggressive at getting things upstream.
>
> Perhaps we can have a discussion about this at the Sonoma workshop.

In addition, we should talk about how to integrate patches being queued
in upper stream but not in OFED, like IPoIB noSRQ. There is always a
window between OFED release and kernel release, a window between Distro
release and OFED release. Some customers are targeted OFED release, some
customers are targeted OFED release. Then how to handle these windows to
meet different customers' requirements could be something t to be
discussed at Sonoma workshop as well.

Thanks
Shirley