[ewg] RE: List of libraries in OFED

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Sun Jul 27 08:01:18 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 12:30 +0300, Sasha Khapyorsky wrote:
> >> - libopensm
> >> - libosmcomp
> >> - libosmvendor
> >> - libibcommon
> >>   Now that it is well understood that these libraries are intended to be
> >> private, developers can move away from using them. But, in the meantime
> >> it would be helpful if any major planned changes in these could be
> >> posted to the list.
> >>
> > Sasha - please comment on the request from Betsy
>
> Sure, we are posting even minor changes :) . Basically I'm fine if
> developers use (or will use) those libraries, important point is that
> they should not expect "stable API" there.
>
> >> I've also heard it suggested that it would be easier to avoid some
> >> issues with private libraries if they were not in the standard compiler
> >> search path. There are pros and cons to deciding to move them, but I
> >> thought I would mention the suggestion.
> >>

> > Library owners: Any thoughts here?
>
> I don't like this idea (as well as this word - "private" :)). Some
> packages in OFED already share those libraries (for instance ibutils uses
> libopensm, etc.). Also somebody may want to use it - let people to decide.

I'll second Sasha's opinion here.  Being in the default library search
path is fine, even for private libraries.  The pain of having them
outside the default search path far outweighs the benefit of them not
being readily available to people that don't understand they are
private.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194