[ewg] RE: OFED meeting sumary on June 02, 08

Ryan, Jim jim.ryan at intel.com
Tue Jun 3 17:33:57 PDT 2008

Tziporet, thanks for the meeting notes. Re item 3, you correctly
captured the outcome of the meeting and my AR. That was to make the
larger group, the XWG, aware that there was an election in process
within the EWG so individuals who might be interested could make that
known. That would make the election as inclusive as possible -- not just
including those who happened to be at the meeting Monday.

However, I'd like to suggest a different course of action for you and
the rest of the EWG to consider. Please understand, I have no authority
here and it really is the expectation of the Board that each WG would be
self-managing. I'm trying to offer a suggestion in an unbiased,
non-partisan fashion, as best I can.

I fully appreciate the points you made at Monday's meeting when you
nominated yourself to chair the EWG. I've been attending a few meetings
and it's clear you run the meetings. Also, to your credit, you clearly
take the larger view when dealing with important questions, like the one
raised Monday on delaying the feature freeze date.

My recommendation is that your effective, week in and week out
leadership be recognized by formally naming you a co-chair of the EWG.

I'd also like to acknowledge, with thanks, the offer made by Yiftah to
put his name forward for a co-chair position.

At the same time, I've been in touch with Gopal on this issue. As I
think you all know, the Board asked Gopal to take over the leadership of
the EWG to replace an earlier leader from Cisco.

Gopal needs to speak for himself, but I think he will acknowledge a lack
of involvement and leadership in this WG and a desire to ramp this up
and become an effective chair.

Assuming that's the case, I ask for consideration of Gopal to continue
as a co-chair with Tziporet.

Again, this is an issue for the EWG to decide. That's why I changed the
distrib to be the EWG only and to make sure Gopal saw it. Please comment
by email and we should discuss at the next EWG meeting. As you said,
Tziporet, this is important but not incredibly urgent. We have time to
make the right decision

Thanks for listening,

Jim Ryan, Chairman, OFA