[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] OFED March 10 teleconfrance meeting summary

Hal Rosenstock hrosenstock at xsigo.com
Tue Mar 11 13:03:08 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 16:28 +0200, Tziporet Koren wrote:

A couple elaborations on the below:

> OFED meeting summary:
> =====================
> 1. Decide on fix release criteria and process (see below)
> 2. OFED 1.4:
>    - Target date: Sep 2008
>    - Will start with kernel 2.6.25 once it released

That was one proposal but I think we need to make sure the dates work
out. There was discussion of working backwards from the target date.
Given that 2.6.25 is now at rc5, this will probably be OK in terms of
the OFED 1.4 timeline.

>    - Next meeting will be devoted to define the features set.
> 3. OFED meeting frequency - decided to continue with bi-weekly meeting
>
> Meeting Details:
> ================
>
> 1. Maintenance release criteria and process:
> Changes guidelines:
> 1. No changes to kernel base (we should stay with 2.6.24)
> 2. No API changes (both in kernel and in user libs)
> 3. Low level driver changes - in the responsibility of the HW vendor,
> meaning:
>    The HW vendor can enhance/fix bugs in the low level driver
>    The QA for the change is the responsibility of the HW vendor
> 4. Core and ULPs (including MPI): Critical and high priority bug fixes
> only
> 5. Add backports to support a new OS (e.g. SLES10 SP2, FC8, etc.)
>
> Release frequency:
> * Will have first release few weeks after the plug-fest (depending on
> issues
>   found in the interop events)
> * In general we wish to have a maintenance release every two months.
>
> Release verification:
> 1. All vendors should run at least basic QA/verification cycle
> 2. If there is a change in a low level driver it's the responsibility of
> the
>    HW vendor to run full QA with this HW.
>
> Release process:
> 1. Publish the maintenance release target date 3 weeks prior to the
> release
> 2. Patches will be sent to Vlad against OFED 1.3 git repositories
>    (this can be done ongoing throughout the period between the releases)
> 3. A release will be built and tested by all companies in the usual
> method.
>

> 2. OFED 1.4:
> a. Relations between Linux kernel.org and OFED kernel components:
>    There is an agreement that it is important to drive any kernel change
>
>    to kernel.org (except for modules with legal limitation like SDP).
>    However, there is a concern that waiting for acceptance to kernel.org
>
>    may hold vendors progress. So it seems that sending a patch to the
> kernel
>    is a must,

There was a proposal to allow one OFED release prior to doing this.

-- Hal