[ewg] Still a lot of warnings left as of rc3

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri Nov 7 13:25:37 PST 2008

On Nov 7, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Betsy Zeller wrote:

> There are still a lot of warnings left as of RC3. I notice that
> quite a few are
> caused by a few files. Can the owner of these files take a stab at
> fixing these,
> if they are not yet already fixed?

Betsy --

I see that some of these belong to Open MPI.  I'm somewhat surprised;
we aren't seeing these (granted, we aren't seeing these in builds
*outside of OFED*).  What compiler and build options are being used to
generate these warnings?

Some of them cannot be "fixed", though.  For example:

> btl_openib_lex.c:1740: warning: 'yy_flex_realloc' defined but not used
> btl_openib_lex.l:99: warning: ignoring return value of 'fwrite',
> declared with attribute warn_unused_result
> keyval_lex.c:1673: warning: 'yy_flex_realloc' defined but not used
> keyval_lex.l:83: warning: ignoring return value of 'fwrite', declared
> with attribute warn_unused_result

These are in flex-generated code that we can't change.

> configure: WARNING: *** Corresponding Fortran 77 type (INTEGER*16) not
> supported
> configure: WARNING: *** Did not find corresponding C type
> configure: WARNING: dlfcn.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected by the
> preprocessor!
> configure: WARNING: dlfcn.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
> configure: WARNING: File locks may not work with NFS.  See the
> Installation and
> configure: WARNING:  -finline-functions has been added to CXXFLAGS
> configure: WARNING:  -fno-strict-aliasing has been added to CFLAGS

This is OMPI's configure telling you information.

> libtool: install: warning: `../../../ompi/libmpi.la' has not been
> installed in `/usr/mpi/gcc/openmpi-1.2.8/lib64'
> libtool: install: warning: `../../../opal/libopen-pal.la' has not been
> installed in `/usr/mpi/gcc/openmpi-1.2.8/lib64'
> libtool: install: warning: `../../../orte/libopen-rte.la' has not been
> installed in `/usr/mpi/gcc/openmpi-1.2.8/lib64'

I have no idea what is causing these warnings.

> libtool: install: warning: relinking `libmpi.la'
> libtool: install: warning: relinking `libopen-rte.la'
...etc.

This is normal output from libtool during the OMPI installation
process that we cannot change.

There's a few others that belong to OMPI that I can look into, but
knowing what compiler and build options you were using would be
helpful.  Thanks!

--
Jeff Squyres
Cisco Systems