[ewg] Panel at SC08/Austin -- what can we do about this?

John Russo john.russo at qlogic.com
Mon Nov 24 04:12:13 PST 2008

This may be a small part of a larger issue.

As the Open Fabrics products gain a larger customer base, we cannot
assume that all users will be actively following the mailing lists.  A
detailed Users Guide which covers issues such as installation as well as
the features and use of each ULP is necessary forthose who are not
intimately familiar with the OFED/WinOF offerings.

In addition, there is currently no documentation that informs anyone of
changes between releases of OFED/WinOF.  Even those who are working to
test release candidates do not have enough information as to what has
changed between builds.

In order to build a legitimate set of user documentation, there needs to
be a more formal process for developers to document changes,
enhancements and bug fixes that are added to a release.  This does not
have to be a major burden on the developers; a few comments in a
pre-determined README file would go a long way to improving
communication of changes to the product. This would ensure that the
community adequately tests updates to the products and that end-users
would have the information they need to get the most out of it.

Just my 2-cents.