[ewg] mvapich1.2rev2997

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu Sep 25 14:26:09 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 04:10:35PM -0500, Steve Wise wrote:
> Chien Tung wrote:
>>> Is mpiexec supposed to be missing in the latest mvapich2 that is in
>>> ofed-1.4?
>>>

>> Jonathan added a patch to allow the user to choose the old mpiexec and
>> the new mpirun_rsh method.  You should see something like this when you
>> run install.pl:
>>
>> +    print "\nPlease choose a process manager:\n\n";
>> +    print "1) New scalable mpirun_rsh framework\n";
>> +    print "2) Traditional mpd/mpiexec\n";
>>

> I did. And I selected 2.
>
> I ended up linking mpiexec.mpd to mpiexec to get things working.

That is odd.  Installing the mvapich2 package using this method allowed
the selection and use of mpiexec for me.  Maybe there is something
quirky between my test/build system where something may have been
overlooked.  I'll see if I can reproduce this problem and I'll get back
to you.

> So I think there's something broken in the install process.  Or you all
> chose to rename mpiexec to mpiexec.mpd?

During the install process this is supposed to be linked to mpiexec.
There are other process managers that can act as mpiexec and users can
choose to modify the link later if they've changed their mind as to
which one to use.

--
Jonathan Perkins
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~perkinjo