[ewg] New Open MPI: 1.4

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Wed Dec 9 05:06:14 PST 2009

I have uploaded a new Open MPI to staging.openfabrics.org and updated the latest.txt so that the nightly OFED 1.5 builds will pull from it.  This new version is a ***VERY*** minor change compared to v1.3.4 (see below) and is in direct response to the GNU Libtool security alert.

To be clear: the change of numbering from 1.3.4 to 1.4 *only* reflects the fact that the code has now shifted from a "new features" focus to a "bug fix only" focus.  It does *not* indicate a large change in the code.

----

The Open MPI Team, representing a consortium of research, academic, and industry partners is releasing Open MPI version 1.4 in reaction to the GNU Libtool 2.2.6b security update release (see http://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2009-3736 for more details).

The Open MPI v1.4 release closes a potential security vulnerability associated with the embedded version of GNU Libtool used in the Open MPI v1.3.x series.  The *only* change between Open MPI v1.3.4 and Open MPI v1.4 is that we used GNU Libtool 2.2.6b to build Open MPI v1.4, thereby updating Open MPI's embedded copy of the "libltdl" library.

*** More details about this release were sent to the Open MPI user's list:
    http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2009/12/11460.php

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquyres at cisco.com