[ofa-general] Re: [ewg] [Patch mthca backport] Don't use kmalloc > 128k

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Thu Jul 23 12:06:41 PDT 2009

 > This will fix the 2^20 bits limit on our bitmaps once and for all.

Not really... since getting > 128KB of contiguous memory is likely to
fail anyway.

And I don't think the upstream kernel has that limit on kmalloc size
either (at least with SLUB, not sure about SLAB).

Really the long-term fix is to handle non-contiguous memory in the
bitmap allocator.  maybe using vmalloc(), although I always hate big
allocations with vmalloc too.