[ewg] RFC: Do we wish to take MPI out of OFED?

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Sun Jun 7 09:18:48 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-07 at 11:36 +0300, Pavel Shamis (Pasha) wrote:
> > I care about both.  I care about the fact that a solid, well adhered to
> > API makes for lots of happy MPI campers, not just one happy MPI camper.
> > And the API road is the path to long term interoperability, not just
> > short term.  So if you really care about MPI, I would recommend you look
> > to the long term, and you may find you agree with me then.
> >

> I agree here with Doug, API road is way to go.
> But It is not reason to exclude MPIs from OFED.
> OFED API issues maybe resolved even when
> MPIs are part of package.

You're right, API issues *can* be resolved even if the latest MPIs are
shipped with OFED.  It's just that this hasn't been the case in the
past, and throwing everything in the same bucket is a strong incentive
not to worry about it in the future.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194