[ewg] RE: OFED libraries - on the web at last

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Thu Jun 11 04:51:54 PDT 2009

Given the discussion and confusion about this file, perhaps that text
file should be expanded and explained a bit more...?

Two quick suggestions:

- explain what is meant by public/private/private but used

- it might be good to have at least one-liner summaries of what each
library is/is for.  For the uninitiated, that might be incredibly useful

On Jun 11, 2009, at 2:15 AM, Tziporet Koren wrote:

> Todd Rimmer wrote:
> >
> > What does this category mean:
> >
> > Private but used by some apps:
> >

> This means that although  these libraries were designed as private
> some
> apps/libs used them.
> We found this when we did this list.
> The apps should be changed not to use these libraries but this is the
> situation in 1.4.x
> This is the reason we publish such a list - so new apps will use only
> public libraries and will not count on any private library
> >
> > I see that libibcommon is in this category, however I have observed
> > that mvapich and mvapich2, link with this library.  Which in turn
> > means that all MPI user applications built with mvapich or mvapich2
> > also link with it.
> >
> You are correct and this is actually old link. MPI will not use it in
> 1.5, since libibcommon was removed from the new management tree.
>
> Tziporet

Jeff Squyres
Cisco Systems