[ewg] RE: OFED libraries - on the web at last

Todd Rimmer todd.rimmer at qlogic.com
Thu Jun 11 08:30:15 PDT 2009

> libibcommon was removed from the new management package that will be
> part of OFED 1.5
> The link in MPI was old and actually MPI does not use this library any
> more for a long time

I beg to differ.  I downloaded OFED 1.4.1 and it includes mvapich-1.1.0-3355.src.rpm

Looking in that rpm, the mvapich.spec file requires ibcommon and uses it.
If I build any apps with that version of mvapich, the apps end up with ibcommon in their ldd dependencies.

At a more generic level, the golden rule should be to not require end users (or ISVs) to rebuild their apps.  In this case it will be necessary for OFED 1.5 to include a libibcommon file which meets whatever requirements mvapich had.  I see the use of ibcommon in mvapich.spec is mentioned as a 2007 addition to work on SLES10.  Not sure what APIs in libibcommon (if any) were needed.

Todd Rimmer
Chief Architect
QLogic Network Systems Group
Voice: 610-233-4852     Fax: 610-233-4777
Todd.Rimmer at QLogic.com  www.QLogic.com