[ofa-general] RE: [ewg] RFC: Do we wish to take MPI out of OFED?

Pavel Shamis (Pasha) pashash at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 06:52:40 PDT 2009

> I can see from the mails and from my personal experience that most of
> the "end users" do not need/use the MPI coming as part of OFED (they
> have many different MPI installed in their clusters), as we can see
> distro are not using it and also some (if not all) of OFED binary
> package providers (i.e. companies) do not use it.
>
> We think that the simple & clear answer is: "take the MPI packages out
> of OFED"

It is not so simple and clear for me after all this discussion on the
thread.
Some OFED member want to remove MPIs and some strongly against it (the
same correct for OFED user community
too).

As I mentioned previously I sure that this step will push users from
OFED distributions
towards vendors packages, like it was before first OFED release.

What will you answer on user's question: "How can I install MPI with
OFED support ?"
Will you send user to read 10 pages of MPI Installation FAQ ? :-)

My 0.02 $

Pasha