[ewg] RHEL5 backports and crypto functions

Brian J. Murrell brian at sun.com
Fri May 1 12:15:59 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 11:13 -0500, Jon Mason wrote:

> It's the same definition as the distro kernel has.

As in like, RHEL5.3?  The definition I see there is:

struct hash_desc {
	struct crypto_hash *tfm;
	u32 flags;
};

in ncrypto.h.

> So the struct has
> changed since 2.6.18.

RH's 2.6.18 or vanilla?  I don't even see the struct in vanilla in
anything earlier than 2.6.19.

> However, it should not be necessary to ship these
> files, and they are simply redefining structs and funcs found in
> ncrypto.h (in the distro kernel).

Yeah.  I saw that.  What is the difference between crypto.h and
ncrypto.h in RH's kernel?

> I am in the process of trying to rip those out and use the existing
> definitions in ncrypto.h, but it is a bit of a tangled mess.

Hopefully this isn't too big a can of worms.  How's that process going?

> I assume
> that not having it defined in the backport header files would work
> around the issue you are experiencing, correct?

Hrm.  Yeah, I think so, because then we'd use our own "backport"
definitions.  I can't really be sure.  I guess I could try commenting it
out and building and see how far it gets.

b.