[ewg] Re: [ofw] SC'09 BOF - Meeting notes

Liran Liss liranl at mellanox.co.il
Mon Nov 23 01:18:49 PST 2009

In the past few months of review, the responsibility for rdmaoe
addressing was moved to the rdmacm.
So, any future addressing enhancements can be confined to the rdmacm
module without breaking existing APIs.

RFC 3041 deals with static global IP addresses on the Internet,
especially for portable devices.
rmdaoe allows using link-local GIDs for applications residing on the
same subnet, so I don't see the relevance.
Note that for rdmacm apps, the intention is to map the IP addresses that
were assigned to the host's interfaces.
Please see http://www.t11.org/ftp/t11/pub/fc/study/09-543v0.pdf.

Regarding multicast, current switches will flood the traffic just as any
other non-IP multicast traffic (e.g., fcoe).
Using switches that support multicast pruning for additional ethertypes,
you can optimize the traffic and achieve the same link utilization as
normal IP multicast.
In any case, this is not a correctness issue that prohibits
experimentation with rdmaoe multicast on any network today.
--Liran