[ewg] OpenFabrics General MailList change impacts

Bill Boas bboas at systemfabricworks.com
Thu Oct 15 10:31:17 PDT 2009

Or, Jeff, Roland,

The EWG is NOT the right list for general enquiries and help for users and
potential users of OpenFabrics software to get answers from the Openfabrics
Community as a whole be it about OFED, WinOF any of the upper level
protocols, iWARP, performance, etc. etc.

I always thought "general" was the wrong name for the original list, even
when we set it up, for what the original general list was used for - it
should have been "OF-Linux Dev@" or something like that. But at the time
those involved insisted there should be just one list for everything - later
we found that did not work for the Alliance with all its activities.

So now we have a Linux developers mail-list that has nothing in the name
that links it to OpenFabrics - was that deliberate?

With Microsoft joining the Alliance and Sun porting OFA verbs and ULPs to
Solaris, we have to recognize that there may become a world wide significant
community that is not a Linux community using Openfabrics software.

Also as the use of OFA code including the Upper level services like iSCSI,
RDS, NFS, be it with Linux, Solaris or Windows grows the need to provide a
mechanism for general inquires and help will grow also.

The EWG list is for the work of developers, maintainers, testers of the OFED
Linux distribution in preparing testing and releasing next releases/versions
of OFED.

I think OpenFabrics-General is precisely a good name for the list that I
think we need.

Comments please?

Bill.

Bill Boas