[ewg] Re: Possible process deadlock in RMPP flow

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at Voltaire.com
Wed Sep 23 23:38:43 PDT 2009

Eli Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 09:08:28AM -0700, Sean Hefty wrote:
>> What kernel does 1.4.2 map to?
> I think OFED 1.4.2 is based on kernel 2.6.27 but they're using RHEL 5.3

Yes, the usual mess: ofed X is based on kernel Y1 but with some additions from kernel Y2 plus plenty of unreviwed and non-merged patches. Distro Z picks ofed X and the result is 99% unsupportable as Roland said. Somehow this ofed creature is still hanging around working on the the next damage its going to bring into this world (code name 1.5)

Eli, here's a little tip for you, I had the displeasure to resolve bunch of support cases originating from the fact that the below 2 years old commit missed some ofed version (sorry forgot the number...), maybe it would help you as well?

Under a normal setting, if this commit actually solves a bug being hit by many costumers, someone would have opened a distro bugzilla case saying, "please pick this commit for your kernel", the customers would have either wait for the next distro update or use a distro intermediate kernel. Currently, I understand that distros are picking ofed versions and that's it.

Or.

commit b61d92d8ae6aa13b17d1c31e69d123879cec2ee2
Author: Sean Hefty <sean.hefty at intel.com>
Date:   Fri Nov 30 17:30:18 2007 -0800

    IB/mad: Fix incorrect access to items on local_list