[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] help install ofed 1.4 on Centos 5.2

Jon Mason jon at opengridcomputing.com
Mon Sep 28 08:45:14 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 11:33:29AM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 10:07 -0500, Jon Mason wrote:
> >
> > We should add a upper limit for the kernels supported in the install
> > script.  So that when new kernels come out, we could very cleanly say
> > that it is not supported.
>
> If I'm understanding you, you are addressing the issue of OFED not
> building with a newer kernel than it was originally written to support.
> I suppose to short-circuit the eventual build failure?
>
> If so, that doesn't deal at all with the real-world issue of leaving
> people between the rock and hard place of having to either run
> vulnerable kernels or alpha/beta quality OFED software.

The issue is having customers breaking when installing OFED due to them using a kernel that was not in existance when that version of OFED shipped (and thus should not be supported).  This should be prevented from occuring (and should be fairly easy to do).

There will always be a window between the latest kernel coming out (of whatever flavor) and OFED's support of it.  Unless OFED is changed to a release model where its releases coincide with distro releases.

thanks,
Jon