[ewg] IPoIB to Ethernet routing performance

sebastien dugue sebastien.dugue at bull.net
Mon Dec 6 03:40:23 PST 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 10:49:58 -0000
"Richard Croucher" <richard at informatix-sol.com> wrote:

> You may be able to improve by doing some OS tuning.

  Right, I tried a few things concerning the TCP/IP stack tuning but nothing
really came out of it.

>  All this data should stay in kernel mode but there are lots of bottlenecks in
> the TCP/IP stack that limit scalability.

  That may be my problem in fact.

>  The IPoIB code has not been optimized for this use case.

  I don't think IPoIB to be the bottleneck. In this case as I managed to feed
2 IPoIB streams between the client and the router yielding about 40 Gbits/s bandwidth.

> You don't mention what Server, kernel and OFED distro you are running.

  Right, sorry. The router is one of our 4 sockets Nehalem-EX box with 2 IOHs which
is running an OFED 1.5.2.

> The best performance is achieved using InfiniBand/Ethernet hardware gateways.
> Most of these provide virtual Ethernet NICs to InfiniBand hosts, but the Voltaire
> 4036E does provide a  IPoIB to Ethernet gateway capability.  This is FPGA based
> so does provide much higher performance than you will achieve using a standard server solution.

  That may be a solution indeed. Are there any real world figures out there
concerning the 4036E performance?

  Thanks Richard,

  Sébastien.