[ewg] IPoIB to Ethernet routing performance

Reeted reeted at shiftmail.org
Tue Dec 28 07:30:48 PST 2010

On 12/28/2010 01:06 AM, Ali Ayoub wrote:
> EoIB primary use is not virtualization, although it can support it in
> better ways than other ULPs.
> FYI, today running full/para virtualized driver in the Guest OS is
> needed also for IPoIB.
> Only when platform-virtualization solution is available, the GOS will
> run IB stack (for any ULP).

You and Richard seem to have good experience of infiniband in
virtualized environments. May I ask one thing?
We were thinking about buying some Mellanox Connectx-2 for use with
SR-IOV (hardware virtualization for PCI bypass, supposedly supported by
connectx-2) in KVM (also supposedly supports SR-IOV and PCI bypass).
Do you have info if this will work, in KVM or other hypervisors?
I asked in KVM mailing list but they have not tried this card (which is
the only SR-IOV card among Infiniband ones, so they have not tried
infiniband).
We can be interested in both true infiniband and IPoIB support.
Thank you.