[ewg] IPoIB to Ethernet routing performance

Richard Croucher richard at informatix-sol.com
Thu Dec 30 09:37:51 PST 2010

IPoIB is far easier to use and does not carry out the additional management
burden of vNICS.

With vNICs you have to manage the MAC address mapping to Ethernet g/w port.
In some situations, such as when multiple G/w's are used for resiliency this
can amount to a lot of separate vNICs on each server to manage.  In a small
configuration I had, we ended up with 6 vNICS per server to manage.  On a
large configuration this additional management would be a big burden.

My experience with IPoIB has always been very positive. All my existing
socket programs have worked, even some esoteric ioctls I use for multicast
and buffer  management.
Performance could always be better, but in my experience it's not great for
the vNICS either.   Latency in particular was very disappointing when I
tested.
If you want high performance you have to avoid TCP/IP.