[ewg] OFED-1.5.1 failure over iWarp

Liran Liss liranl at mellanox.co.il
Thu Feb 4 02:28:05 PST 2010

The rdma_dev_addr refers to an L2 netdevice, so it makes perfect sense that the hw addresses stored in src/dst_dev_addr are macs for both iWarp and RoCEE (as is already the case).
Note that with this approach, dev_type is no longer sufficient to determine the ibdev type.
Following the "spirit" of the current code, it is probably cma_acquire_dev()'s job to fill in the missing ibdev type information after matching the netdev to an ibdev.

As for the match process, we could encode the mac in one of a RoCEE port's gids, but this entry would be a dummy, i.e., it would only serve for this matching process.
In contrast to iWARP, RoCEE gids really *are* gids, and serve as the port's *network* addresses.
In the current implementation, the link-local GID is a fully-qualified L3 address, which borrows from IPv6's automatic configuration scheme; it is always be present and usuable.
So, the current suggestion of using the link-local gid for device matching has the advantage that the GID table contains only usable L3 gids - no dummys.

I don't know which of these alternatives is "cleaner".
--Liran

P.S. - I really wish that we had a cleaner way to match an ibdev to a netdev without overloading the gid table entries.
Basically, it should be the job of the entity that created the netdev to make this association, and stuff a pointer in the netdev.
Another option is to register a list of "L2 HW addresses" with an ibdev's port (i.e., in a different structure than the gid table), so the lookup would be straight-forward.