[ewg] bug 1918 - openmpi broken due to rdma-cm changes

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri Feb 5 12:08:10 PST 2010

On Feb 5, 2010, at 1:56 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > I think we should remove the feature of allowing binds to 127.0.0.1
> > altogether based on Jeff's arguments and my assertion that 127.0.0.1 is
> > a sw-loopback mechanism anyway...
>
> I don't agree, the kernel should be free to provide a loop back
> service any way it likes, and if that means using one of the HW

Ok, fine.  Should we push back OFED 1.5.1 until Open MPI can get 1.4.2 out?  I don't know when that will be.

In short: you're breaking backward compatibility with zero warning.  There is real software out there that will break if people upgrade their kernel/OFED/RDMA CM/whatever (e.g., Open MPI).  Isn't this supposed to be the Enterprise distribution (meaning: stability)?  (trying to keep the frustration out of my voice...)

This is a terrible, terrible idea.

How about this: back out the change for now.  Give everyone time to upgrade.  If nothing else, ***give those of us who are involved in this community*** time to upgrade.  Then put the feature back in after adequate time has passed.

--
Jeff Squyres <jsquyres at cisco.com>
Cisco.com - http://www.cisco.com

For corporate legal information go to: