[ewg] OFED 1.5.2: libibumad.so version bump

Hal Rosenstock hal.rosenstock at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 13:18:33 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Ira Weiny <weiny2 at llnl.gov> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 13:35:44 -0700
> Hal Rosenstock <hal.rosenstock at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ira,
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Ira Weiny <weiny2 at llnl.gov> wrote:

>> > Because our MVAPICH depends on umad, libibumad.so.1 to be exact.[*]  These ABI
>> > changes (to v2 and v3) would have forced our users to recompile their codes.
>> > We are maintaining the old ABI here until our next major release of CHAOS[#]
>> > to prevent this.
>> >
>> > I think the thing to remember is that many people are using Open Fabrics
>> > software, but are _not_ using "OFED".  What is tested with OFED is not the
>> > only thing which might be using these libraries.  Our version of MVAPICH is a
>> > good example.
>> >
>> > I am certainly not the expert in this area and I know that many people have
>> > tried to make this point in the past, but I will say it here again.  Each of
>> > these Open Fabrics packages _must_ be maintained to stand on their own.
>> > Roland did this a long time ago with ibverbs.
>> >
>> > I think now is a good time to start discussing breaking up the "management" git
>> > tree so that these libraries can live on their own.
>>
>> How does breaking up the "management" git tree help with this issue ?
>
> Creating and tracking of branches to maintain ABI would be easier with
> separate git trees.  Furthermore, separate trees will help "force" the use of
> consistent ABI's and interfaces.
>
> For example, if I currently want OpenSM version 3.3.6 I get a management tree
> with version libibumad 1.3.5.  But this last ABI change to umad was only
> required for the latest infiniband-diags (ibstat utility).  Why do I get all
> this "cruft" when pulling the latest OpenSM?

That's a totally different issue than which packages a particular OFED
release picks up.

>> To me, that's the admin part and is separate from the ABI issue
>> raised.
>
> Yes it is separate.  That is why I created another thread to discuss those
> issues.
>

>> The ABI compatibility is not achieved by administrative means
>> (separate repos, etc.) but rather than review and discipline to
>> achieve this as a unmutable goal.
>
> I agree that ABI compatibility will require more discipline.  That is what
> made me think of the separate git trees.  I feel it will be _easier_ to
> maintain this discipline when the trees are separate.

Call me a skeptic but I think the same thing would've occurred with
separate git trees.

I have no real preference one way or the other. In fact, this was
discussed in the early days which are long forgotten. The libraries
are small and umad is a lot more stable than mad. It would just mean a
lot of busy work for everyone with internal trees.

-- Hal