[ewg] Review of OFA Logo NFS/RDMA testing

Hal Rosenstock hal at dev.mellanox.co.il
Fri Apr 11 06:35:02 PDT 2014

On 4/9/2014 2:53 PM, Edward Mossman wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to look through our test plan and provide
> suggestions. I will bring these suggestions to the next IWG meeting and
> we will vote on whether to include some or all in the test plan.
>
> Previously we were executing our InfiniBand tests with OpenSM as the
> Master SM, then disabling OpenSM and turning on the Subnet Managers that
> are included in our InfiniBand switches. This was meant to expose any
> interoperability issues with, say, a Subnet Manager on an Intel switch
> controlling a fabric comprised of Mellanox and Intel HCAs. We have since
> scaled back and only require a device to be interoperable when using
> OpenSM.

Switching between SMs is dangerous, is "beyond" the spec, and not
recommended and discouraged by IBTA (there is IBTA white paper on this
from IBTA MgtWG). It relies on similar behavior in various areas of SM
which are SM specific policies which might affect quite a number of
things in the subnet. The only thing that is supposed to work is
failover to same "flavor" of SM.

-- Hal