[ewg] Answer to oversize SLES DVD images

John Jolly jjolly at suse.com
Tue Oct 14 12:33:49 PDT 2014

Rupert/all,

I verified that our DVD2 images for SLES 12 would not fit on standard
DVD media, so I inquired if this was known and what should we expect
from the customer. Here is the response:

>> This is not a panic for OFED testing. They can work around this issue.
>> But are we ready to support DVD images that cannot be burned to DVD?
>
> Yes, we are (it is not the first time, I've been told :)
>
> More important, we are only enforcing DVD1 to fit on a physical DVD4.
> DVD2 contains only source rpm and is not required to fit on a physical
> DVD4. As mentionned by Mark, customers who really want to burn those iso
> on a physical DVD needs to use DVD-DL or Bluray.

So, the answer is: DVD2 is intended to be burned to Dual-Layer media,
if it should be burned at all. I suppose we all should be grateful we
don't have to make a stack of floppies to install SLES 12. ;-)

Regards,
John Jolly - SUSE Enterprise Linux Engineer