[ewg] OFA EWG Meeting: Monday, Apr, 10, 2017, 09:00 AM US Pacific Time (12pm EST) - Minutes

Jeff Becker jeffrey.c.becker at nasa.gov
Mon Apr 10 10:54:05 PDT 2017

Hi Arlin,

On 04/10/2017 10:19 AM, Davis, Arlin R wrote:

> _Attendees               Company _
>
> David Dai                            IBM
>
> Arlin Davis Intel
>
> Bill Schmidt Intel
>
> Tatyana Nikolova              Intel
>
> Robert Woodruff              Intel
>
> Jim Ryan                             OFA
>
> Rupert Dance                    Software Forge
>
> Susan Coulter                    lanl
>
> Minutes:
> ·Board approval process for OFED 4.8 should begin, need approval by
> May 15^th GA target.
> §Woody/Arlin to draft formal email request to board
> ·OFED 4.8: http://downloads.openfabrics.org/OFED/ofed-4.8/OFED-4.8-rc1.tgz
>
> §RC1 validation progress:
>
> §Good progress by all, no major issues with most companies
>
> §Intel Xeon Phi team hitting Bug #2619
>
> ·new libibscif released for v13 support, ready for RC2
>
> §Intel qib team hitting Bug #2622
>
> §Discussion regarding GA timelines
>
> §RC level for interop/debug events preferred (Early May), ability to
> add fixes for GA
>
> §Intel concerned about further delays, hoping for GA by May 15^th
> timeframe.
>
> ·General consensus reached for rdma-core v13
>
> §Vlad, please pull in rdma-core v13 and roll RC2 (by end of week if
> possible).
>
> §If IPoIB bug (#2619) can be resolved in next few days, pull into RC2
>
> §Do we have a patch process for v13+ patches? (Arlin to work with Vlad)
>
> §VMware, work with Vlad to remove out tree patches pushed into RC1.
>
> ·NFS-rdma backports – deferred until OFED 4.8-1 (fall 2017?).
>
> §IBM would prefer NFS-rdma support in 4.8
>
> §What is confidence level for NFS-rdma in 4.8-1?

First, it's nice to know that someone wants NFS-rdma for 4.8. When I
asked Susan and others at the OFA workshop,  they couldn't name anyone
who uses it (except possibly us (NASA) - unfortunately we don't despite
my suggestions, although that may soon change).

As far as getting the backports done, I got as far as getting a
successful build on both SLES12SP2 and RHEL7.3. Unfortunately, when I
tried to run connectathon04 against it, only half the tests passed.
After several discussions at OFA workshop with Chuck Lever (upstream
NFS-rdma author) and Woody, I decided that the best way to proceed was
to start with a base NFS-rdma source earlier than 4.8 (e.g., perhaps
4.5). Then if I get that to build and pass tests, start adding Chuck's
patches incrementally if they fix bugs or add important features. Then
get code building and tested as patches are added. One big problem with
NFS-rdma is that the patches potentially touch all of NFS, and it would
not be desirable to backport all of NFS since the distro's have done
extensive QA, and NFS is such a critical part of the system.

With that said, I can resume my backport efforts, and see how far I get.
Given the amount of work involved, I'm not sure if I can make the May 15
release, but I can try. What do you think?

Thanks,

-jeff