[ewg] OFED-4.8, rdma-core, and library paths

Leon Romanovsky leon at kernel.org
Tue Feb 7 10:06:42 PST 2017

On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 10:27:52AM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 11:19:59AM -0600, Steve Wise wrote:
> > >
> > > Hm, possibly yes. ibverbs first checks the new location, if the
> > > provider is not there then it will fall back to a naked dlopen which
> > > could find providers in the system library path if there was a .driver
> > > file for it.
> >
> > Hmm, so it will load the provider libraries directly specifying the
> > full path?  IE 'ldconfig -p' doesn't matter?
>
> As the first try, yes. That is the usual way to locate
> plugins. Typically you don't want the system linker searching plugin
> directories.

Jason,
I have a slightly different question, but it is still in context of
plugins and linkers.

In v0 of DV, you asked from us to create normal shared library for mlx5,
e.g. libmlx5.so. In order to be visible to "gcc -lmlx5"i command, it should be
placed in the same directory as libibverbs.so, while plugins should be placed
in libibverbs folder.

I did it by using symlinks
$l /usr/lib64/libibverbs
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root   10 Feb  7 18:09 libmlx5-rdmav2.so -> ../libmlx5.so
$l /usr/lib64 | grep mlx5
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root   12 Feb  7 18:09 libmlx5.so -> libmlx5.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root   17 Feb  7 18:09 libmlx5.so.1 -> libmlx5.so.1.0.13

It works, but I don't know if it is right approach from distro/packaging
perspective. Is it ok?

Thanks