[ewg] [ANNOUNCE] OFED 4.8-rc2 release is available

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Thu May 4 10:34:35 PDT 2017

> This is exactly why we so strongly discourage this out of tree stuff -
> getting something unmergable in OFED is *NOT* Job Done, Time to Go
> Home. Down this path just creates another Lustre mess.

Actually, this may be 'job done'.  No individual or company is obligated to provide upstream software for any of their hardware.  OFA decides what to ship in their software products, not the greater linux kernel community.  Individual companies can decide if out of tree maintenance is more cost effective than trying to merge code upstream.  Because that's what this ultimately comes down to.

IMO, the only people who have legitimate complaints here are those people running Xeon Phi with Mellanox HCAs who are being forced to use OFED, rather than upstream code.