[ewg] [ANNOUNCE] OFED 4.8-rc2 release is available

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Thu May 4 11:07:15 PDT 2017

On 5/4/2017 1:19 PM, Hefty, Sean wrote:
>> So in plain words: Intel abuses their influence in OFED to ship
>> crap that has absolutely no chance to get upstream in the current
>> form instead of working with the community to improve
>> infrastructure.
>>
>> That's exactly what I guessed, thanks for confirming.
>
> OFED is a software product of OFA, not Linux.  OFA can put anything
> that they want in it.  Why do you even care?  It's no different than
> Intel or Mellanox or any other company shipping out of tree
> software.

The primary answer to your question depends on whether or not the
software will ever be upstreamed.  If it will, then it really should go
there first and not later, and the reason is well exemplified by what
happened with XRC where the version that landed in OFED and the version
that landed in upstream were two totally different things, and users had
to go back and fix up all their code because of the difference once it
finally did land upstream.  It's not nice to put users in that position
again, and this does sound like it might end up going down that exact
road since upstream is pursuing ways of doing peer to peer PCI
operations and such without any input from the Xeon Phi folks.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
    GPG Key ID: B826A3330E572FDD