[ewg] OFA EWG "OFED next" discussion

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Mon Mar 26 08:46:46 PDT 2018

Hey Arlin,  I can't make today's call.  I'll reply inline below:

On 3/15/2018 2:02 PM, Davis, Arlin R wrote:

> All,
>

> I want to start the discussion on “OFED next” requirements while 4.8-2
> is finishing up.
>
> I will start the discussion with the following topics, feel free to
> add and adjust appropriately.
>

> _Which kernel release? (If there is a strong opinion one versus the
> other please explain):_
> -  Kernel.org 4.15.8 (stable)
> -  Kernel.org 4.16-rc5 (GA most likely early April)

I think we should consider 4.17, which should hit RC1 around 4/15.   If
we kept our sparse kernel tree refreshed as the RCs progress, it should
be doable.  And it allows OFED to not lag so far behind upstream
releases.  My 2 cents...

Or at least 4.16.  I'm not sure why we would consider 4.15.x...

> _Which distro/backports, do we need to go back 4 years to RH7.0 (2014)
> and SLES12.0 (2014)?_
>
> -  RH 7.5 (beta) -
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7-beta/html/7.5_release_notes/index
> -  SLES 15 (June 2018) -
> https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/15/

I thought we just supported the last 2 releases or something like that?