[openib-general] Re: Error in opening IB cm device

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Wed Jul 20 01:39:56 PDT 2005

Quoting r. amith rajith mamidala <mamidala at cse.ohio-state.edu>:
> Subject: Re: Error in opening IB cm device
>
> Hi,
>
> I couldn't find /dev/infiniband in my installation. After adding this
> manually and doing mknod as you suggested the error in opening the
> /dev/infiniband/ucm disappeared.

You shouldnt need /dev/infiniband/ucm for ibv_rc_pingpong to work
Delete /usr/local/lib/infiniband/libucm.so or move it to
/usr/local/lib/libucm.so

> However, now the program
> (ibv_rc_pingpong) is not able to create QP.

What kind of error do you see?

> [....]
>
> However I was not able to add the udev rules as specified in the following
> instruction. I could not locate the /etc/udev/udev.rules.

Maybe you have /etc/udev/rules.d/?
Create a new file there, name it something like 60-infiniband.rules, and put

KERNEL="umad*", NAME="infiniband/%k"
KERNEL="issm*", NAME="infiniband/%k"
KERNEL="uverbs*", NAME="infiniband/%k", MODE="0666"

I have also put up a short page with installation instructions on the
Wiki. Check it out.

https://openib.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Installation+Cheat+Sheet

--
MST