[openib-general] Trying to compile mvapich RHEL4U3 for ib.

Sayantan Sur surs at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Apr 12 18:24:30 PDT 2006

Hello Roger,

> With mvapich-0.9.7 it errors out in the building
> stage with an error ibv_free_device_list/ibv_get_device_list missing,
> I cannot find any of the ib libraries on RHEL4U3 that appear to contain
> that library.

Thanks for trying out MVAPICH-0.9.7. Currently, we don't have any
machine with RHEL4U3. We are installing two machines with RHEL4U3 and we
will try out MVAPICH on that as soon as possible.

The verbs `ibv_get_device_list' was introduced before the 1.0 branch.
So, if you have either OpenIB installed from the trunk or from the 1.0
branch, you _should_ be able to see this verb in the library.

I am wondering if you are trying out the default versions of the OpenIB
rpms on RHEL4U3?

> Using the mvapich-gen2-1.src.rpm from openib.org results in
> these errors (on the first thing it tries to compile).
> viainit.c: In function `create_cq':
> viainit.c:118: error: too few arguments to function `ibv_create_cq'

This is also due to a verb change made a while back to the
ibv_create_cq. I believe this version of mvapich-gen2 source rpm was
created against the version of userspace support which is present in the
very same .src.rpm (you may install those if you want, though they are a
little old now). The userspace verbs changed after this src rpm was
created.

> I have verified that the include file prototype has more arguments, than
> are contained in viainit.c.

Yes, it seems that the RPM you have installed is from somewhere in
between the ibv_create_cq verb change and the later introduction of the
ibv_get_device list verb.

I'm wondering if you could try it out with the latest 1.0 branch of
OpenIB? In addition, we will get back to you asap with our testing on
RHEL4U3.

Thanks,
Sayantan.

--