[openib-general] Problem configuring ipath_ether

Matt Leininger mlleinin at hpcn.ca.sandia.gov
Fri Mar 24 22:38:35 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 16:42 -0800, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 11:50:18PM -0800, Matt Leininger wrote:
>
> > I have the ipath driver up, running, and working with IPoIB.  I'm using
> > 2.6.16 with svn 5938.  The ipath_ether comes up as eth2.  I can set the
> > netmask and broadcast, but when I try to set the ip address for this
> > device I get the following error:
>
> Matt,
>
> ipath_ether uses InfiniBand protocols but is not the same as IPoIB. So
> it's better to ask support at pathscale.com about it. (The reason we ship
> it at all is that it's faster than IPoIB -- this necessitates a
> different wire format -- and it behaves more like an ethernet device
> than IPoIB.)

  That's why I want to try it.  :)

  I figured since the code was in OpenIB that this should go to this
mail list.  I'll cc support at pathscale.com with any future issues.

> My guess is that you're trying to use it with ib_mad (the in-kernel
> SMA).  Do you see anything in /var/log/messages like "ipath_ether_open
> timed out waiting for MLID"? The relevant entry in RELEASE-NOTES.txt
> under the KNOWN LIMITATIONS section is:

   That could be.  I'll check.  I thought ipath_ether was suppose to
work when IPoIB was enabled.

>    * IPoIB and ipath_ether do not work together, as ipath_ether requires
>      the InfiniPath SMA, which needs to be disabled to use OpenIB.  This
>      will be fixed in a future release.

>From a previous email I thought IPoIB and ipath_ether would work
together.

http://openib.org/pipermail/openib-general/2006-March/018206.html

> Apologies for this not being more obvious.

  No problem.  Thanks for the help.

  - Matt