[openib-general] heads-up - ipoib NAPI

Shirley Ma xma at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 26 21:34:22 PDT 2006

Hi, Eli,

> Hi,
> I have a draft implementation of NAPI in ipoib and got the following
> results:
> System descriptions
> ===================
> Quad CPU E64T 2.4 Ghz
> 4 GB RAM
> MT25204 Sinai HCA
> I used netperf for benchmarking, the BW test ran for 600 seconds with 8
> clients and 8 servers.
>
> The results I received are bellow:
>
> netperf TCP_STREAM:
>       BW [MByte/sec]    clients side [irqs/sec]   server side [irqs/sec]

NAPI patch moves ipoib poll from hardware interrupt context to softirq
context. It would reduce the hardware interrupts, reduce hardware latency
and induce some network latency. It might reduce cpu utilization. But I
still question about the BW improvement. I did see various performance with
the same test under the same condition.

Have you tested this patch with different message sizes, different socket
sizes? Are these results consistent better?

Thanks
Shirley Ma
IBM Linux Technology Center
15300 SW Koll Parkway