[ofa-general] RDMA write completion question

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Thu May 24 09:15:33 PDT 2007

At 08:13 AM 5/24/2007, Tang, Changqing wrote:

>But I was learned a while back, that local rdma completion only means
>that
>the data has been received by remote HCA, and an ACK has been
>acknowledged,
>the remote HCA may have deliveried the data to host memory, may NOT.
>
>Is this still true ?

Yes.   Unless a RDMA Read is done to flush all prior operations to host
memory, acknowledgement of a RDMA Write via the IB protocol only indicates
the packet arrived with a valid CRC to the CA.  There is no guarantee of
anything getting to host memory or that any data corruption has been
prevented as a CRC only guarantees the packet traversed the fabric without
a CRC detectable error occurring.

Mike