[ofa-general] SA code?

Yicheng Jia YJia at tmriusa.com
Fri Feb 1 15:07:37 PST 2008

> Are you saying all messages are between adjacent neighbors on the ring ?
Yes. Say I have 6 nodes: A, B, C, D, E, F, then the ring topo will be
A<->B, B<->C, C<->D, D<->E, E<->F, F<->A, and there are totally 6 subnets.

> If it is just A->B, B->C, ..., and never across the ring, then this can
> work but you need an SM instance per subnet.
Do I need a router per subnet as well?

> If you need some router mode, then this is still a work in progress for
> InfiniBand although you might be able to get to a proprietary solution
> in the short term.
What version of OFED will have router mode available?

Thanks!
Yicheng

Hal Rosenstock <hrosenstock at xsigo.com>
02/01/2008 04:45 PM

Yicheng Jia <YJia at tmriusa.com>
cc
general at lists.openfabrics.org, Roland Dreier <rdreier at cisco.com>
Subject
Re: [ofa-general] SA code?

Hi Yicheng,

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 16:38 -0600, Yicheng Jia wrote:

> Hi Hal,
>
> The only reason is cost down.

Understood.

>  The cost of IB switch weighs too much in our product, it seems the
> ring topology is the only way to go. There's no message across the
> ring, all the communication occurs within the ring.

Are you saying all messages are between adjacent neighbors on the ring ?

> Would it cause the performance substantially go down?

If it is just A->B, B->C, ..., and never across the ring, then this can
work but you need an SM instance per subnet.

If you need some router mode, then this is still a work in progress for
InfiniBand although you might be able to get to a proprietary solution
in the short term.

-- Hal