[ofa-general] Re: [patch 0/6] MMU Notifiers V6

Christoph Lameter clameter at sgi.com
Fri Feb 8 18:16:16 PST 2008

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> The VM shouldn't break if try_to_unmap doesn't actually make the page
> freeable for whatever reason. Permanent pins shouldn't happen anyway,

VM is livelocking if too many page are pinned that way right now. The
higher the processors per node the higher the risk of livelock because
more processors are in the process of cycling through pages that have an
elevated refcount.

> so defining an ad-hoc API for that doesn't sound too appealing. Not
> sure if old hardware deserves those special lru-size-reduction
> optimizations but it's not my call (certainly swapoff/mlock would get
> higher priority in that lru-size-reduction area).

Rik has a patchset under development that addresses issues like this. The
elevated refcount pin problem is not really relevant to the patchset we
are discussing here.