[ofa-general] Re: Demand paging for memory regions

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Tue Feb 12 14:41:48 PST 2008

 > > Chelsio's T3 HW doesn't support this.

 > Not so far I guess but it could be equipped with these features right?

I don't know anything about the T3 internals, but it's not clear that
you could do this without a new chip design in general.  Lot's of RDMA
devices were designed expecting that when a packet arrives, the HW can
look up the bus address for a given memory region/offset and place the
packet immediately.  It seems like a major change to be able to
generate a "page fault" interrupt when a page isn't present, or even
just wait to scatter some data until the host finishes updating page
tables when the HW needs the translation.

 - R.