[ofa-general] IPOIB/CM increase retry counts

Or Gerlitz or.gerlitz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 11:17:18 PST 2008

On 2/13/08, Pradeep Satyanarayana <pradeeps at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> Or Gerlitz wrote:

>> I understand that changing the retry counts eliminated the issue you
>> were seeing in your setup, however, its more of an observation than an
>> actual problem statement whose solution can be judged.

> I am not clear why you think that this was an observation rather than an actual problem.

I did not mean to say that there is no actual problem, I just don't
see here an actual evidence that proves or suggests that indeed
--the-- problem is different speeds of the HCAs, the fact thay adding
retries eliminated the send errors is not enough. For example, maybe
adding just RNR retries would do well? maybe just adding retries
would? maybe you were seeing it at April 2007 before NAPI was
implemented? etc, etc. I have sent a note on that to the ewg list
asking if people can reproduce the problem. Best if you can name two
HCA types + FW version + node setting + test that can reproduce the
problem.

Also, you did well without this patch in the code for 10 months now,
so I don't see why it has to go into ofed in such a rush, the fact
that Roland missed commenting on it twice, should not stop you from
sending it to him in the  third time... maintainers are busy, it
happens.

Or.