[ofa-general] Re: Merging of completely unreviewed drivers

David Newall davidn at davidnewall.com
Thu Feb 21 17:46:45 PST 2008

Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> writes:
>> I'm personally of the opinion that a lot of checkpatch "fixes" are
>> anything but. That mainly concerns fixing overlong lines
>>

> Perhaps we should increase line length limit, 132 should be fine.
> Especially useful with long printk() lines and long arithmetic
> expressions.

Yes; or even longer.  80 characters might have made sense on a screen
when the alternative was 80 characters on a punched card, but on a
modern computer it's very restrictive.  That's especially true with the
deep indents that you quickly get in C.  Even short lines often need to
be split when you put a few tabs in front of them, and that makes
comprehension that bit harder, not to mention looks ugly.