[ofa-general] Re: Merging of completely unreviewed drivers

Junio C Hamano junio at pobox.com
Thu Feb 21 22:29:09 PST 2008

Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> writes:

> So I'd be happier with warnings about deep indentation (but how do you
> count it? Will people then try to fake things out by using 4-space indents
> and then "deep" indentations will look like just a couple of tabs?) and
> against complex expressions (ie "if ((a = xyz()) == NULL) .." should just
> be split up into "a = xyz(); if (!a) ..", but there are sometimes reasons
> for those things too!

Deep indentation should be fairly easy, given that you
already have rules in place that says "Tabs are 8 characters".
So if you find a line that begins with more than say 4 SP, you
can flag that as already bogus (i.e. "does not indent with HT"),
more than 8 SP definitely so.

I'll leave harder "complex expressions" to sparse experts ;-),