[ofa-general] Re: Merging of completely unreviewed drivers

Jeff Garzik jeff at garzik.org
Fri Feb 22 11:20:12 PST 2008

Ingo Molnar wrote:
>  2) you might know that Deja-Vu moment when you look at a new patch that
>     has been submitted to lkml and you have a strange, weird "feeling"
>     that there's something wrong about the patch.
>
>     It's totally subconscious, and you take a closer look and a few
>     seconds later you find a real bug in the code.
>
>     That "feeling" i believe comes from a fundamental property of how
>     human vision is connected to the human brain: pattern matching.
>     Really good programmers have built a "library" of patterns of "good"
>     and "bad" looking coding practices.
>
>     If a patch or if a file has a clean _style_, bugs and deeper
>     structural problems often stand out like a sore thumb. But if the
[...]

>     The best programmers are the ones who have a good eye for details -
>     and that subconsciously extends to "style details" too. I've yet to
>     see a _single_ example of a good, experienced kernel programmer who
>     writes code that looks absolutely careless and sloppy, but which is
>     top-notch otherwise. (Newbies will make style mistakes a lot more
>     often - and for them checkpatch is a nice and easy experience at
>     reading other people's code and trying to learn the style of the
>     kernel.)
[...]

>  4) there's a psychological effect as well: clean _looking_ code is
>     more attractive to coders to improve upon. Once the code _looks_
>     clean (mechanically), the people with the real structural cleanups
>     are not far away either. Code that just looks nice is simply more of
>     a pleasure to work with and to improve, so there's a strong
>     psychological relationship between the "small, seemingly unimportant
>     details" cleanups and the real, structural cleanups.

The above deserved to be quoted...  just because I agree with all of it
so strongly :)

Bugs really do "hide" in ugly code, in part because my brain has been
optimized to review clean code.

Like everything else in life, one must strike a balance between picking
style nits with someone's patch, and making honest criticisms of a patch
because said patch is too "unclean" to be reviewed by anyone.

	Jeff