[ofa-general] Re: Merging of completely unreviewed drivers

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Feb 23 20:47:44 PST 2008

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, David Newall wrote:

> > which talks more about what matters - too deep indentation.
>
> What's too deep?  Is the following too deep?

It would be, if it weren't artificially so, for violates several kernel
coding standards, one being that the "case" labels indent with the switch,
not under it (the other being the placement of braces).

> (Yes, I know, "we don't indent 'case' because it consumes too much
> room."

No, that's not it at all. We don't indent 'case' because it matches with
the 'switch', not because of any room issues.

> That's inconsistent with the rest of normal indenting style, and
> a poor excuse to keep within an obsolete and unnecessary restriction.)

It's not at all inconsistent. It's just making clear how the parts of the
function group together.

Indenting a case-statement an extra level is as stupid as indenting "else"
one extra level from the "if ()" it goes together with. Do you think that
would be sane?

The fact that the 'case' thing is technically parsed as a separate
statement in C doesn't change anything.

		Linus