[ofa-general] 1x TCA using a 4x connector

Diego Guella diego.guella at sircomtech.com
Mon Feb 25 04:38:50 PST 2008

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right mailing list to ask this, but maybe someone can direct me to the right place.

We are thinking about developing a very simple TCA, that can connect to a switch and regular HCAs from Mellanox or other manufacturer.

Can our TCA provide a 1x port, but using a _physical_ 4x connector?
In other words, our TCA will be a 1x SDR TCA, but we would linke to use a 4x connector, and so use 4x cables to link it to our switch.

What should we do with the unused physical lanes? Should we leave them floating? Should we connect them to GND? Or something other?

Is there something particular that should we do to get this working?