[ofa-general] Install IPoIB separately ..

Nathan Dauchy Nathan.Dauchy at noaa.gov
Mon May 5 14:49:29 PDT 2008

Vladimir Sokolovsky wrote:
> Keshetti Mahesh wrote:
>> While installing OFED-1.3 on a machine, I forgot to select the IPoIB
>> module.
>> Now, is it possible to build IPoIB module separately and install it
>> without
>> affecting the earlier installation?
>>
>> -Mahesh
>
> Not with OFED-1.3 installation script.
> If you will run install.pl then it will:
> 1. Uninstall the current OFED installation.
> 2. Rebuild and install kernel-ib RPM (with IPoIB).
> 3. Install other binary RPMs following your selection using binary RPMs
> that were created during the previous install.
>
> Regards,
> Vladimir

This coupling of install and build steps complicates life for users and
seems like a step backwards from OFED-1.2.

>From the "OFED Aug 13 meeting summary", this change was made in part
because the previous build method and manner of handling dependencies
did not follow standard RPM usage.  I don't think that uninstalling
multiple RPM's and rebuilding them in order to add another RPM is
standard RPM usage either.  Can this be put on the "to-do" list for
OFED-1.3.2?

Is "install.pl" the only way to reliably build OFED-1.3?

Thanks,
Nathan