[ofa-general] RDS flow control

Richard Frank richard.frank at oracle.com
Tue May 13 10:03:21 PDT 2008

Steve Wise wrote:
> Olaf Kirch wrote:
>> On Monday 12 May 2008 18:57:38 Jon Mason wrote:
>>
>>> As part of my effort to get RDS working for iWARP, I will be working
>>> on the RDS flow control.  Flow control is needed for iWARP due to
>>> the fact that iWARP connections terminate if there is no posted recv
>>> for an incoming packet.  IB connections do not have this limitation
>>> if setup in a certain way.  In its current implementation, RDS sets
>>> the connection attribute rnr_retry to 7.  This causes IB to
>>> retransmit until there is a posted recv buffer.
>>
>> I think for the initial implementation, it is fine for iWARP to just
>> fail the connect when that happens, and re-establish the connection.
>>
>> If you use reasonable defaults for the send and recv queues, receiver
>> overruns should be relatively rare.
>>
>> Once everything else works, let's revisit the flow control part.
>>

> I _think_ you'll hit this quickly with one-way flows.  Send
> completions for iWARP only mean the user's buffer can be reused.  Not
> that its placed at the remote peer or in the remote user's buffer.

Let's see what happens - anyway - this could be solved in an IWARP
extension to RDS  - right ?
> But perhaps I'm wrong.  Jon, maybe you should try to hit this with IB
> and rnr_retry == 0 using the rds perf tools?
> Also "the everything else" part depends on remove fmr usage.  I'm
> working on the new RDMA memory verbs allowing fast registration of
> physical memory via a send WR.  To support iWARP we need to remove the
> fmr usage from RDS.   The idea was to replace fmrs with the new
> fastreg verbs.   Thoughts?

What does "fast" imply here - how does this compare to the performance
of FMRs ?

Why would not push memory window creation into the RDS transport
specific implementations ?

Changing the API may be OK - if we retain the performance we have with IB.