[ofa-general] iSer and Direct IO

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu May 15 08:58:58 PDT 2008

Cameron Harr wrote:
> Joe Landman wrote:
>> This is only 8 GB of IO.  It is possible that (despite dio) you are
>> caching.  Make the IO much larger than RAM.  Use a count of 128m or so.
>
> This is going to sound dumb, but I thought I had 4 GB of RAM and thus
> intentionally used a file size 2x my physical RAM. As it turns out, I
> have 32GB of RAM on the box (4G usually shows up as 38.... and I just
> saw the 3). Anyway, with a 64GB file the numbers are looking more
> accurate (and even low):
> 393.3 MB/s

This is about right.  We were seeing ~650MB/s iSER for a 1.3 TB file dd
on our units, but it bounced all over the place in terms of rates.  Very
hard to pin down a single performance number.  Locally the drives were
 >750 MB/s, so 650 isn't terrible.

>> We have found dd to be quite trustworthy with [oi]flag=direct.
> I like it too. At any rate, I'm going to need to do some new testing to
> avoid the ram size (might just set a mem limit on the boot line).
>
> There's still a bit of a discrepancy between IOP performance with iSer
> and srpt. Has anyone else done comparisons with the two? I think Erez
> was hoping to get some numbers before too long.
> Cameron

I think it might be coalescing the IOPs somehow (what do your elevators
look like, how deep are your queues).  Each drive can do 100-300 IOPs
best case.  30000 IOPs is 100-300 drives.  Or
caching/coalescing/elevators in action.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D