[ofa-general] saquery port problems

Matthias Blankenhaus matthias at sgi.com
Tue May 20 13:19:50 PDT 2008

Howdy !

While using this tool to run some queries on a two port HCA, I noticed
some odd behavior.  Here are my observations running on a SLES10SP2
(x86_64) Intel Xeon with a Mellanox Technologies MT25208 InfiniHost III
Ex HCA:

(01) saquery -C mthca0 -m
     This yields the output for port number two.  This is not conform with the
     usual ib tools behavior to report on port one per default.

(02) saquery -C mthca0 -m -P 1
     Fails with "Failed to find active port, check port status with "ibstat".
     This is incorrect, since

     # ibstat mthca0 1
CA: 'mthca0'
Port 1:
State: Active
Physical state: LinkUp
Rate: 20
Base lid: 5
LMC: 0
SM lid: 1
Capability mask: 0x02510a68
Port GUID: 0x0008f10403987dc5

     This might be the reason why (01) report on port two.

(03) saquery -C mthca0 -m -P 2
     Works and is identical with the out out from (01).

However, the following command options work:

(04) saquery -P 1 -m
     Correctly yields the output for port one.  In other words
     port one seems to be fine unlike reported in (02).

(05) saquery -P 2 -m
     Correctly yields the output for port two.

Is it incorrect to use -C and -P in combination ?  Why does does
saquery think that port one is not active ?

Thanx,
Matthias