[ofa-general] Re: PATCH 1/1 - fix kernel crash in mad.c whenIB_MAD_RESULT_(SUCCESS|CONSUMED) returned

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Tue May 20 15:37:37 PDT 2008

 > >I also agree but I remember at one point we got pushback from
 > >one of the mainline kernel developers who really wanted to see
 > >only one return point in the code even if it meant more gotos.
 > >I don't remember who though.
 >
 > I think the coding style document calls out using a single return point, but I
 > don't think that's always the cleanest approach either.

CodingStyle suggests using goto to avoid duplicating cleaup code at
every return.  I don't think anyone would argue in favor of the style
we're talking about here of using goto to jump to a plain return
statement.  it doesn't help avoid bugs caused by  missing cleanup, and
it actually *causes* bugs like the one here where it becomes easy to
forget what the function is returning.

 - R.